Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Friends and SKYPE

It's snowing again.
And everytime I look out of my window, I actually feel more calm and nostalgic...I guess this is the effect from last night's chat on Skype with my fabulous friends from around the world (Manila, Sydney and Istanbul). And it was very spontaneous. I like it when things happen that way...no plans, no appointments...just all of a sudden everyone was logged on as if we all planned and agreed to be online all at the same time from different time zones...isn't that fabulous and freaky (Anthony thought it was groovy!)!
Well, my friend Rene, from Istanbul was here in Manhattan for New Year's parties, and this was the first time we chatted since his visit. Of course he's doing very well, busy as usual, with his social and sex lives and his work as a contributing writer for Time-Out Istanbul.
Then out of nowhere, I saw a red flag from Australia. Mudra, my best friend of all time, who doesn't even have yet an internet connection installed in his new apartment, was in a huge internet cafe in Sydney, saying hello to me . It was totally unexpected and a very happy coincidence. All of a sudden I was talking to 2 funny, smart, beautiful bitches from hell...what more could I have asked for (it was a party!) . The conversation was hysterical, reflective, critical and gratifying all at the same time. As we were finishing the chat, my Skype started ringing again, this time the call was coming from Manila. So I told my bitches to go and leave so I could concentrate on Duday in Manila.
And we did talk....non-stop, for the next 3 hours....and we did this while she was working and organizing her brand new office on the 24th floor of an Ayala office building with a great view (talk about corporate success and multi-tasking!).
The best part of being friends with the same group of people as one grows older, is the chance of really getting to know someone...if you've been with friends through the ups and downs of your life, the bond is stronger than a crazy glue.
I know that now, and i beleive that it's really one of my best accomplishments in life. To be able to share and appreciate the failures and successes in our lives all these years is such a blessing it sounds like a visa tv commercial : PRICELESS . There are no manuals on friendships and relationships.....but we were able to manage and sustain our own through sheer hard work, backstabbing, honesty and loyalty (in that order)....hey, once upon a time, we were all young, naive and ambitious.

Well, it's also easier and manageable that MOTHER always gets his way too ;-)

3 comments:

AudieE said...

is that my picture mamaaahhh?? i can't seem to remember when and where you took that one, perhaps you can enlighten 'moi'

Anonymous said...

Dahling, what are you talking about?! other than the naive part, we're still young and ambitious on a lot of levels. But now, we're more seasoned and understanding of the ways of life...which make us more fun to be around with ;)

Toodles,

Rene

Cesar Obrero said...

I totally agree with you my dear....and you perfectly clarified that point....suplada ka talaga ;-)

xoxoxo